How to Treat a Bee Sting
Bee sting itself is not as dangerous as allergic reaction to it. Treating a bee sting is based mostly on relieving allergy consequences. If you don't swell after a bee stings you, it doesn't mean you are not allergic at all. There still may be skin inflammation which is also a sign of mild allergic reaction. There are many ways to treat a bee sting, some of them are just home remedies.
Remove a stinger
If a stinger is still in your skin, you need to remove it using your nails or tweezers. Apply a piece of ice to the injured area.
Wash the spot
Wash the spot with vinegar and soap. Use an antibiotic ointment. If your last rigor nervorum shot was made less than 10 years ago, you need to repeat it. In most cases insect bites are not the reason to call a doctor, but if you get an allergic reaction, you should call an ambulance as soon as possible. If you know you are allergic to bee venom, you must always have an antihistaminic drug at hand (in summer, when there are many bees).
Take antihistaminic drugs (like diphenylhydramine). But you need to remember that drowsiness is one of the side effects. Ibuprofen can help to relieve the pain and itch. In most cases pain and itch stop in a day.
If after a bee sting you get an asthma hit, just taking an antihistaminic drug may not work, it has to be an injection.
You should always call a doctor if you notice signs of infection. And you absolutely must call a doctor if there are signs of allergy, allergic reaction to bee venom may lead to death. It rarely happens, but you don't want to take those odds. If a bee stung you once and you felt fine after that, it doesn't mean you won't get allergic reaction when it bites you again. You must always call a doctor if a bee stings you on the neck, mouth, eye or you get stung by a few bees at once.
- Short breath;
- Difficulty taking;
- Mouth and throat swell;
When to call a doctor:
- If allergy symptoms appear after you leave doctor's office, come back.
- If you notice change in urine color (it gets darker).
- If you get a fever followed by a swell.
Don't squeeze out a stinger - it may lead to venom spreading under your skin. Be careful, don't press on your skin and make sure you don't break the stinger, otherwise it will be very hard to remove.
To avoid a bee sting in the future, don't wear bright colors and sweet perfume, be very careful when eating out - bees like fruit and sweet drinks, including juice, sodas and beer.
If you know you are allergic to bee venom, ask a doctor if you should always have an allergy kit at hand in case it happens. You should have a few kits in different places to you can reach one anytime. Read all the instructions in advance and make sure your friends and family know how do shots, so they can help you if you get stung. After using a kit, visit a doctor.
Authors total: 33