How to Produce More Breast Milk
Milk is produced with the help of lactation hormone, its output increases when a baby starts to suck on a mommy's breast. Lactation hormone output increases in a few minutes after a baby starts drinking milk. The milk flow itself depends on oxytocin output - when a baby starts sucking, or even when you think about your baby being hungry. This is why it is ok that milk comes out of one breast, even if you are feeding your baby using the other one. The lack of milk can be caused by:lack of breastfeeding (if you often feed your baby using a bottle); lack of vitamins and nutrient elements you consume; wrong breast stimulation. You can produce more milk only if you increase the output of hormones mentioned above.
Night breastfeeding proved to be more effective for increasing lactation hormone output. If your baby doesn't wake up at night anymore, and you feed him only at daytime, it explains the lack of milk. You have to feed a baby a few times within 3 a.m. - 8 a.m. time period (which is 2 - 3 times a night). P. S. Breastfeeding 6 times a day isn't enough to increase hormones output. Make it at least 8.
There are drinks that can help you increase the amount of breast milk when combined with other methods. There are special sorts of tea for that, you can go to a pharmacy and ask a consultant about it. Such tea usually contains the following herbs:
- Milfoil (also known as nosebleed or achillea) leaves;
- Galega officinalis;
- Marjoram (also known as bush basil);
- Dill, fennel, caraway seeds;
- Black poplar buttons;
- Calendula flowers;
- Nardus (also known as elecampane or inula) roots.
These herbs increase the amounts of milk, help you sleep and calm your nerves. The use of these drinks shouldn't be excessive though. If herbs you take are bitter, make sure they don't affect your milk taste, it may spoil your baby's appetite. There are milk cocktails that can help, too.
- Caraway tea recipe: 1 tbsp caraway seeds + 1 liter (33 oz) boiling hot water. Cover the herbal tea and let it sit for 5 min. Drink a cup of your caraway tea every now and then.
- Dill seeds: 1 tbsp dill seeds + 1cup boiling hot water, let it sit for 2 hours. Drink half a glass dill tea two times a day.
Solving pacifier issues
Give pacifier to your baby only when it is necessary. Pacifier sure differs from your nipple, which may result in your baby holding your breast wrong (which affects producing milk).
- Don't forget that it isn't just about quantity, it is about quality. Your breast milk should be nutrient enough.
- If you take vitamins, don't take too much, read more about what kind of vitamins you can or cannot take, mind dozes.
Pay more attention to your daily routine and nutrition, and you and your baby will be fine. Don't forget to consult your doctor and make sure herbs are what you need right now. A doctor can find a solution specific to your situation. Of course, you can use additional tricks, which have to be combined with the right breast stimulation and nutrition.
Authors total: 33