How to Oil Paint
Everybody likes beautiful things. Everyone has a painting or two at home or / and in the office. An oil painting is a great gift to a friend, and it is the best home warming gift. To create a beautiful painting you don't have to study art in college, all you need is a standard painter kit and a few rules that will help you paint a wonderful landscape or a portrait.
- Brushes (at least 2 - 3 brushes # 3, round);
- Oil paint;
- Canvas. You can get canvas that already is covered in special white paint.
- Paint thinner;
- Palette knife # 2 or # 3 (optional);
- Pencil and an eraser;
- A frame for your painting;
- Drawing easel.
Painting isn't a cheap hobby, but it is worth it. There is nothing better than your own painting hanging on your wall, you can paint anything you want - you can paint your dream house, because, you know - dreams come true. You can start with sketching. Make simple drawings as often as you can - there should be nothing that feels more natural than a pencil in your hand. Think of it as something that has been missing from your hand - when you hold it you feel right, you feel complete.
Learn more about lights
Learn more about lights and half-tones; read, watch videos, learn how to make strokes before you start. Learn how to mix colors. If you don't want to spend a lot of time reading and are anxious to start, watch a few YouTube videos on how it is done. You just have to get a general idea and you can start practicing.
Painting from nature is a little complicated, which is why you better start with copying paintings by professional artists. Even the greatest artists used to copy works of their teachers in order to master their craft.
Remember the routine
- Choose what to draw. Animals and people are hard to draw, so why don't you start with nature? Once you choose what to paint, you need to prepare your instruments:
- Make sure canvas is placed at the same angle as the original picture, so there is no distortion in proportions.
- Squeeze out on the palette the colors you are going to use (1 pea size)
- Get rags for removing paint from the brush.
- Get a little paint thinner in a separate jar (10 ml - 1 tbsp)
- Once you are done sketching, you can start oil painting. Start painting from the top down, otherwise paint is going to be all over your sleeves and arms. -You can cover the canvas with a light paint to create a background, and then apply actual colors.
- Dip a brush in paint thinner, and get some paint on it. The more paint thinner - the lighter the color.
- Don't rinse the brush in paint thinner - use a rag to get paint off it.
- Don't be afraid to experiment! It is your work, you can paint anything you want, you can use any style you want - the choice is all yours.
It may be hard for you to start painting, but there is nothing to be afraid of. If you can't sketch, just find a picture you like and try to draw something like that. One of the main things here - is inspiration. If you feel that you want to bring your painting skills to the new level - attend special courses or hire a tutor.
Authors total: 33