How to Make a Link
Making a link is always more convenient then just posting a page address, especially if it is too long. Making a clickable link is pretty easy, all you need to do is remember a couple of simple HTML & BB codes. Here we will tell you how to create a hyperlink on forums and blogs (and when you send an email). Keep reading to learn more.
How to make links on blogs
- If you are commenting on blogs or making your own blog post, then you need to enter the following code which includes 14 symbols that can be found on any keyboard:
<a href=""> </a>
Make sure you leave no spaces. It is better to use Notepad or MS Word Document to save the code(s) in case you need it in the future. You don't want to google it every time you want to make a link.
- Copy the link you want to post and place between the quotes (no spaces). Let's say you picked Google:
<a href="https://www.google.com/"> </a>
- Enter an anchor - the only word/phrase a reader will see. A user will have to click on it in order to go to this site. Place the word between the signs > and < . Let's say your anchor is "Google":
<a href="http://www.google.com/"> Google </a>
No spaces. You can choose any anchor. If it's a link to a site about cooking, your anchor may be "recipes". Many prefer to use words like "here" or "click here" as anchors. For instance:
a) If you want to go to Google, click <a href="http://www.google.com/"> here</a>
b) To go to Google, <a href="http://www.google.com/">click here</a>
c) Ask <a href="http://www.google.com/">Google</a> if you want to learn more.
- If you are commenting on someone else's blog, you may want to hit "preview" before you comment: if HTML code is OFF, the link won't transform, the code will be showing, and there is a chance you won't be able to remove your message.
Note: Some blog engines offer the easier way to make a link: you enter the anchor and highlight it, press the "link" button and type the link in the window that appears. Click OK
How to make links on forums
- To make a link on a forum you need a BB code. You may want to type and save it in Notepad, too:
- Type the link after "=" symbol:
- Enter an anchor between the square brackets. An anchor can be as long as you want.
- Hit "preview" to see if the code worked (it should, if BB code is ON).
Note: Most forums have a "link" button, too. You can use it instead of entering the code and a forum engine will do it for you (see "How to make links on blogs" - Note).
Don't ever forget to hit "preview"
Don't ever forget to hit "preview", as there is a chance you won't be able to fix the link once it's posted. You should press "preview" every time because even when it says "BB code is ON" or "HTML is ON", there's still chance it's off. If there is no "preview" button, see if there are any links posted by other users.
Don't click on links posted by other users
Don't click on links posted by other users if you don't know where they lead. Point your mouse cursor at an anchor and look at the bottom left-hand corner of your browser window. You will see the site address an anchor leads to. You can use it to see if you made your link right.
As you see, making a link is rather easy, you have to use a special button (for instance: if you are sending an email) or one of the two codes offered above (URL and a href). If you don't know what code to use, try both, one of them will work.
Authors total: 33