How to Make Turkey Gravy
Everybody likes delicious turkey gravy. ?ulinary history of USA only lets us to guess about the whole variety of the ways to cook this wonderfully tasty and aroma dish. It won't take you long to make homemade turkey gravy, Usually an average recipe presupposes the required time of 20 minutes. Avoid overcooking turkey otherwise it will get hard.
2 tablespoonfuls of vegetable oil (olive oil is the most popular variant);
1 cut onion;
1 large tomato;
2 tablespoonfuls of butter;
2 tablespoonfuls of flour;
4 oz mayo
- To make turkey gravy get the turkey at first. If you have bought a frozen turkey you will have to defrost it first. Take a large bowl and let turkey defrost naturally at room temperature for approximately three hours.
- After that wash it thoroughly in the same bowl with cool running water. In case you have purchased chilled turkey you will have only to rinse it with cool running water.
- Take a knife and cut the turkey into the smaller parts so it will be easier to cook it further.
- Before you start cutting it into the pieces remove the skin. It will be quite comfortable to cook the turkey if you cut it into the small pieces.
- Take clean dry frying pan and put it on average heat. Warm 2 tablespoonfuls of olive oil. You may take any vegetable oil you like. The sesame or sunflower seed oil will also add some interesting hint to the taste of the dish
- Take turkey pieces and put them onto the pan. Fry them for 10 or 15 minutes on intensive fire. Take a wooden spoon and turn the pieces upside down.
- Take a carrot of an average size, wash it and peel it. After that grate this carrot. Take an average-sized onion, remove the peel and cut it into tiny pieces or simply dice it. After that you may take 1 large tomato as well, rinse it with warm water and cut it into small pieces.
- Take another frying pan, warm two tablespoonfuls of butter in it. Fry onion and carrot for 3 or 5 minutes. After that add the tomato pieces. Stir the mixture with wooden spoon.
- Add two tablespoonfuls of flour. If you want to improve the taste of the dish you may fry the flour in a dry frying pan for 5 minutes having added black grounded pepper beforehand.
- Stir the mixture intensively. Take 1 glass of fresh water and add it slowly to the mixture without stopping to stir the mixture. As soon as the mixture boils add the fried turkey to vegetable mix.
- Cover frying pan with the lid and let the gravy boil slowly for half an hour. You will get delicious dish. Serve it hot. Add some fresh culinary herbs cut into small pieces. You may also serve fresh homemade bread with turkey gravy.
- Don't use hot water to wash the turkey. The matter is that turkey meat is too soft and may be partially boiled even in hot water.
- Don't put onion, tomato and carrot on hot frying pan simultaneously. Tomato is much softer than the onion of carrot and it may become overcooked easily. It will be even better to fry these three vegetables separately and mix them in the end.
You may also try to use the chicken instead of turkey in this recipe. In that way you will get delicious chicken gravy. Don't add too much vegetable oil otherwise your gravy will be too fat. Serve it with whatever you think is the best - pasta, macaroni, mashed potatoes or veggies.
Authors total: 33