How to Make Potato Pancakes
When all the garnishes have become boring to you, you should start experimenting. When it comes to type of garnish, potato can be a great choice. It is rather easy to make, it is a very common vegetable to find and the prices for potatoes are also rather reasonable. If you feel like you want to try new ways of cooking potatoes - try making potato pancakes. These guys are very easy to make and you should try making them at least to find out whether you should cook them more or not.
Traditional potato pancakes
potatoes (as many as you want);
vegetable oil or olive oil (for frying);
salt to taste;
sour cream and greens (optional)
- Wash, peel and grate potatoes. Add an egg so your potato pancakes donít fall apart. If you are using a lot of potatoes, add more eggs, they should coat grated potatoes. Form pancakes;
- Preheat the frying pan and add oil. Once frying pan is hot, reduce the heat and fry pancakes on medium until golden brown. Turn them over and fry till ready. Serve with sour cream and greens.
Potato pancakes with liver
1 lb chicken liver;
a small onion;
oil for frying;
salt to your taste;
1 tbsp potato starch
- Wash, peel and grate potatoes so pieces are as small as possible, if your potatoes look like paste afterwards Ė itís perfect;
- Cut liver in pieces and blend it so itís of the same consistency. Combine an egg, potatoes and liver, add starch and salt;
- Preheat the frying pan, add oil and fry pancakes on medium from both sides. Place batter on frying pan using a tablespoon. Pancakes will be thin and cooking them wonít take long.
Potato pancakes with milk and basil
1,5 lb potatoes;
1 garlic clove (optional);
1 cup of milk;
salt and pepper to your taste;
a couple of basil leaves
- Wash, peel and grate potatoes. Press potatoes to get moisture out (itís important, since you are using milk), use gauze for that or other clean fabric;
- Chop basil. Beat eggs and add them to potatoes, add salt and pepper to your taste. Bring milk to a boil and slowly pour it in the batter;
- Add basil and fry pancakes in vegetable oil.
- Your potato pancakes shouldnít be too liquid. Itís ok if they are liquid, but there is a limit. Use a spoon to place batter on the frying pan (if necessary).
- Donít fry potato pancakes on high: they can burn on the outside, but still be raw inside.
- Donít forget to add an egg, it is a binding element that will prevent pancakes from falling apart Ė itís important.
The trick in cooking potato pancakes is not to burn them on the outside while leaving raw on the inside. Keep them on medium fire or even low if you understand that they are being cooked on the outside too intensively. Also you should turn on cooker hood on maximum level so that all your kitchen wouldn't smell like fried potatoes.
Authors total: 33