How to Dye Easter Eggs
Easter is a Christian holiday celebrated by Christians all over the world. One of Easter traditions is to exchange dyed Easter eggs of various colors. And in this article we will tell you how to color Easter eggs: it is very easy and you probably already have all you need at hand. It is so easy that even your little children can do it. Let them be a part of this and enjoy the day together!
You may need:
- fresh eggs;
- a lot of onion skins (for brown/orange);
- small beetroot (for red/wine red);
- carrots (for yellow);
- purple cabbage leaves (for blue);
- a couple of tbsp coffee (for beige/brown);
- a brush;
- eyeliners of different colors;
- a couple of tbsp vinegar.
Coloring eggs brown/orange with onion skins
Get enough water in a pot (4 inches from the bottom), place dry brown onion skins in the pot and boil them on low for 40-45 minutes. When water turns nice and brown, add eggs and boil them until they are ready (10 min). Turn them so they are properly colored. This will give your eggs nice brown color. Use silver or gold paint (an eyeliner) to draw lines and curves on those eggs (after they dry).
Coloring eggs red with beetroot
Peel and grate a beetroot. Put it in the water, add a spoon of vinegar and boil for 20 minutes. Then put eggs in this water and boil them for another 10 minutes. Donít forget to mix the water and turn eggs so they are evenly colored. Get eggs out of water and let them dry. Use paint or an eyeliner to draw details.
Coloring eggs beige/brown with coffee
Add 1 teaspoon coffee for beige, 2 tbsp Ė for brown and boil with eggs for 10 minutes. Make sure eggs are not cracked, otherwise coffee will get in and spoil their taste, you will have to throw them away.
Coloring eggs yellow with carrots
Peel and grate carrots. Put them in the water, add a spoon of vinegar and boil for 20 minutes. Then put eggs in this water and boil them for another 10 minutes. Donít forget to mix the water and turn eggs so they are evenly colored. Get them out of water and let them dry. Use paint or an eyeliner to draw details.
Coloring eggs blue with purple cabbage leaves
Cut cabbage leaves in small pieces, place them in a pot and pour water. Add 1 spoon vinegar and boil leaves for 20 minutes. Add eggs and boil another 10 minutes.
- Donít be afraid to properly rinse eggs after coloring. It will make them lighter, but when they dry there wonít be a mark on the side the egg lied on.
- Donít forget to check if eggs are cracked, if coloring agent gets in it may mess up the taste of eggs.
- Donít be afraid to experiment: if you wrap a thread around an egg, after boiling you will get a nice strappy pattern.
Easter is a wonderful holiday and even though an egg is just a symbolic gift, you still can make it unique and very personal. Use paint or eyeliner to write something on it so the person you are giving it to feels special. Have a happy Easter!
Authors total: 33