How to Become a Male Model
It's been a long time since modeling business has been traditionally associated with females only. These days, there is a huge demand for male models as well. The good news is modeling business is no longer a part time job that doesn't help you make a lot of money and never guarantees any growth and career opportunities. In fact, being a model is extremely prestigious and beneficial these days. If you are a good looking guy and want to build a career in this niche, there are several important things for you to learn.
Estimate your chances
Modeling agencies usually look for tall guys between 5'10" and 6'3". If you are below or above this height, your chances go down. Needless to say, male model should be good looking. This term includes your physical shape, your skin, teeth, hair, etc. If you have problems with some of these points, you should work hard to improve them prior to going to the interview.
It means that you should find the right people to work with and always look for connections that can get you on your way to the modeling Olympus. Your network should include good photographers, designers, stylists, and agents.
Get a portfolio
Modeling agencies usually ask the candidates to present head shots, body shots, ¾ shots, and profiles. Thus, find a good photographer to make a portfolio for you. Don't hesitate to invest in your portfolio because it is very important to start your career. Just look your best and shoot several pictures for the agency. These pictures should be made against a white wall and be really simple. That's a good idea to make a picture in plain underwear as well.
Feel free to ask for advice
If you were hired as a model for a photo shooting or runway, there are guys who know more than you do. Ask them how to walk and for some posting tips.
Search for your local modeling agencies
Call them to make an appointment with their talent scouts or casting directors. Grab your portfolio and go for an interview where they will decide whether you are a successful candidate or not.
- Don't be cocky and overpowering.
- Don't wear loose or baggy clothes when you shoot for your portfolio. Wear something that compliments your body.
- Don't give up if you've been rejected. Go to another agency, send your resume and portfolio to the agencies in other cities, and register on various websites for models. Work on your looks as well: work out to develop a better physical shape, find a good stylist, smile and be nice and sexy.
- Don't be arrogant. The more arrogant you are the less people like you. No matter how good looking you are, if working with you is the pain in the neck, no one would hire you.
- Don't choose this career if you are too shy. Even your good looks won't hide your discomfort in front of the camera. Also, this career is not for you if you hate spontaneity. Working as a model, you never know what's going to happen tomorrow and can't make plans.
- Don't relax once you signed a contract! This is a very competitive area with lots of new young and good looking guys joining the industry every day, so you want to do your best to stay on top.
So, modeling business is a rapidly developing and evolving industry with an enormous demand for male models. It's hard to get in, but when you succeed, you benefit a lot. All you need to do is "sell" and advertise yourself the best you can.
Authors total: 33